“ For me, choreography is physical theatre centered around the artists' skills while driven by the emotions of theme. ”
- Jeff Hall
Jeff Hall has been a performing stage artists, dancer, actor, choreographer and circus director known for blending his spectacular athleticism with his artistic eclecticism, inventively blending humor, dialogue and physical performance together for the past 25 years.
He has earned a wealth of knowledge in various artistic domains, creating a rich palate of work for the smallest black box theatres to the world's largest stages, exploring Dance, Film, Theatre and the Circus Arts, be it as a performer, choreographer, writer or director.
He obtained his Bachelor's degree in Contemporary Dance at Concordia University, worked with many independent Montreal choreographers, as well as touring with Quebec's biggest International companies. He also collaborated for more than a decade on creations with his artistic partner Pierre Paul Savoie gaining international recognition in his own right as a choreographer and director of innovative physical theatre.
His eclectic style of creations has gained him a reputation as a theatre director and choreographer working on the essence of the situation, inspired by set design and architectural structure. Never shying away he has worked with the unique attributes of every performers, be it dancers, children, actors, athletes and acrobatic circus performers. His most recent choreography's were for the world renown Cirque du Soleil, ZAiA and TOTEM. His latest written and stage creations were high commercial successes - DEVDAN, a permanent show in Bali since 2011, and Circo Jumbo 2013 created in Chile and performed in Peru and Chile.
He was the recipient of the Canadian Choreographic Award Jacqueline Lemieux with Pierre-Paul in 1996.
In 2012, he founded Hall Way Productions, a non-profit organization, to produce and distribute his own personal creations.
Through the years
Jeff's professional career began with many independent choreographers and he eventually found his way to the Fondation Jean-Pierre Perreault, JOE and Piazza.
- 1990- 1995: Jeff toured extensively with the Montreal Company Carbone 14, performing in both the show and the film Café des Aveugles, and the show Le Dortoir as well as its award-winning film adaptation by François Girard.
- 1992-1998: As co-Artistic Director of PPS Danse with Pierre-Paul Savoie, Jeff co-created Bagne, which toured the USA and Europe. He also co-created the multimedia production Pôles, working with visual artists Michel Lemieux and Victor Pilon.
- 1996: Recipient of the Canadian Choreographic Award Jacqueline Lemieux with Pierre-Paul.
- 1999: Jeff performed in the Swiss collective creation OMA and taught at the École de Cirque de Verdun, creating three annual student shows. He also co-created a highly successful two-hour circus show, Les Écureuils, which has been seen by more than 16,000 children since 2005, and still continues to marvel thousands of children year after year..
- 2001: Jeff reunited with Carbone 14 as a performer in the 2001 creation Silences et Cris by Gilles Maheu.
- 2002: He became Gilles Maheu's assistant in Bibliothèque. That same year he assisted renowned director Robert Lepage working on the remounting of Trilogie des Dragons, and Marie Brassard on her La Noirceur, both presented at the Théâtre des Amériques festival in 2003. Since then he has completed a film directing program at l'Institut National de l'Image et du Son (INIS).
- Jeff hall has received three creation grants from the Canada Council, as well as the prestigious Jacqueline Lemieux Award for choreography. His work has been presented at the Canada Dance Festival in Ottawa, the Festival International de Nouvelle Danse in Montreal, the Dresden Tager der Zeitgenössischen Musik Festival in Germany, the Lisbon Arts Festival Expo 1998, the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis and the Arts Festival of Atlanta.
- 2005: Jeff started his relationship with the Cirque du Soleil, working as an artistic coach on LOVE. Since his work on LOVE Jeff has worked at Cirque as an Artistic Coach and continued as the Creator/Director/Choreographer of shows at l'École de Cirque de Verdun.
- 2008: He was acrobatic Choreographer on the Cirque du Soleil Show ZAiA, created in 2008, directed by Gilles Maheu and permanently based in Macao China.
- 2010: Choreographer for the 2010 Cirque du Soleil show Totem directed by Robert Lepage, which is presently touring the world.
- 2011: He was the director of the Show Devdan. A permanent show for 35 Indonesian dancers and acrobats steeped in this Asian culture traditions, while juxtaposed with contemporaries staging.
- 2012: In 2012, during the Festival ‘Quartiers de Danses” Jeff performed Falling, his 1st stage appearance in 10 years.
- 2013: He wrote and directed Circo Jumbo 2013 created in Chile. Produced by Siete and performed over 100 shows touring Peru and Chile
- 2014: Jeff has written and will direct Harricana – le Spectacle. A large scale outdoor show with 65 musicians, actors, dancers and circus artists celebrating the 100th anniversary of the town of Amos Quebec.
- 2014: Jeff returns to Chile for another whole new creation of Circo Jumbo 2014 produced once again by Siete Production.
“My contribution as a circus choreographer is to help artistically shape each of the acrobatic numbers into a cohesive and dynamic act – to which the director can add his own personal vision, his color," he says. "I love taking acrobats, many without any previous theatrical experience, into choreographic situations in which their acrobatic skills are harmonized by their individual stage personas. It's a privilege to watch these performers grow as they confront personal and physical risks every day. ”
- Jeff Hall